The core activities and responsibilities of the IT Operations Centre (ITOC) relate to the monitoring and support of the ICT Production Infrastructure, responding to incidents identified at Infrastructure level and on the identification and management of problem resolutions.
Under the supervision of a Team Leader within the ITOC, the successful candidate will participate in the ongoing monitoring, maintenance and support of the IT Data Centre and related IT Server and Network Infrastructure.
The successful applicant will have the following main tasks and responsibilities:
Infrastructure Monitoring, Incident Response and Resolution
- Assisted by the relevant tools, proactively and continuously monitor all layers of the deployed ICT infrastructure, including virtualised and non virtualised server hardware, operating systems and applications, network and telecommunication devices, including 3rd party services, middleware, and applications within a structured ITIL based environment;
- Develop and maintain sufficient knowledge about the interdependencies of all infrastructure components deployed in the production environment in order to be effective at identifying and diagnosing incidents and problems;
- Identify incidents at the infrastructure operational level and proactively detect anomalies or patterns that may result into problems for the availability, stability, performance or capacity of the system;
- Execute remediation actions on incidents at the infrastructure level in accordance with existing procedures;
- Register and track incidents according to the defined procedures using the tools made available for this purpose;
- Escalate incidents and address problems requiring the intervention of the relevant core operations and engineering teams, and drive the whole cycle of their resolution;
- Participate in the maintenance and upgrade cycle of the monitoring toolset and procedures, including the continuous reconfiguration and fine-tuning required for optimal detection and response to incidents and problems.
- Register, assess, classify and describe infrastructure-level problems that affect or have the potential to affect the availability, stability, performance or capacity of the ICT infrastructure and systems;
- Diagnose problems and indicate a roadmap for their resolution, with the involvement of the relevant core operations and engineering teams as appropriate;
In addition to the core activities listed above, the following tasks and responsibilities are also part of the job profile. Management will from time to time identify the tasks and responsibilities from the below list that are specifically assigned to each staff member:
- Activities related to the operational acceptance testing of new ICT solutions into the production environment;
- Participation in various roles to the execution of technical development projects, typically for design, implementation, deployment, and testing activities - participation to development projects takes into account the area of technical specialisation and developmental interest of the staff member, aligned with business need.
- This position might require participation in a shift system including weekends and nights as well as participation in on-call duty.
a. Candidates must
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
- Produce appropriate character references as to the suitability for the performance of the duties;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position;
- Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
- Possess a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies preferably in the area of Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent academic area attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is 3 years;
- In addition to the above have at least 3 years of ICT related professional work experience gained following the award of the diploma.
a. Professional experience:
- Experience network / server administration and support experience within a Microsoft Active Directory environment;
- Experience with the support setup and maintenance of Microsoft Operating Systems and Servers, within a VMware or virtualised operating environment;
- Experience with setup and support of SAN technologies;
- Experience with Internet technologies and related core infrastructure (including DNS, DHCP, Routers and Switches within a Cisco Enterprise Environment);
- Experience with IBM Web Sphere technology
- Experience in complex web-based application support
- Project management experience and skills;
- Knowledge and experience with IT Operations procedures and problem/ incident resolution processes;
- Knowledge of MS Windows Server 2003 including Active Directory and LDAP;
- Knowledge of database administration including database monitoring and capacity planning in a MS SQL 2005/2008 environment;
- Knowledge of MS Exchange Server 2007 including provisioning and maintenance of mailboxes and disaster recovery;
- Generic knowledge of core Data Centre technology and operations in a VMware or virtualised environment;
- Generic Server Hardware knowledge including Fiber Channel Technologies, Raid Arrays, Backup Solutions and Disaster Recovery.
- Knowledge of the ITIL Framework;
- Knowledge of Enterprise Networking including LAN/WAN monitoring, Routing and Switching;
- Knowledge of MS Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM) monitoring solutions;
- Knowledge of MS Sharepoint in an IIS/MSSQL environment;
- ITIL certification.
c. Technical skills and competencies:
- Understanding of infrastructure concepts and technology and their impact on clients and services related to the business;
- Effective oral and written communication and technical documentation skills;
- Flexibility in working hours, as well as willingness to work during weekends and nights and 24/7 shifts when needed;
- Display high standards of professionalism.
d. Social skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated customer focus and service orientation;
- Ability to work in a team and to achieve goals;
- Good analytical skills in order to manage complex issues and to define action plans including the management of priorities;
- Have a high level of initiative;
- Good negotiation and organisational skills;
- Experience in a multidisciplinary, multicultural, International working environment.
Salary Scale: AD 6 The basic monthly salary is EUR 4 828, 65 (step 1). In addition, if applicable, allowances such as expatriation allowance, household allowance, dependent child allowance and education may be granted. Europol offers a comprehensive welfare package comprising additional benefits such as medical insurance, unemployment and invalidity allowance as well as a pension scheme. Salaries are subject to a community tax but exempt from national taxation. Terms and conditions 6.1 Probation period Engagement for this position is subject to the successful completion of a probationary period of 6 months. Within this period the successful candidate will have to undergo a post-related security screening. Europol reserves the right to terminate the contract of employment during or at the end of the probation period in accordance with Article 14 of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS). 6.2 Security screening and certificate of good conduct In order to ensure that all candidates who have successfully passed a selection procedure comply with the security standards and do not have a criminal record we request all successful candidates to apply for a “certificate of good conduct” at the time an offer of employment is made. The certificate of good conduct provides evidence that the candidate is suitable to be employed by Europol. However, the certificate of good conduct does not substitute a full security clearance that must be carried out for all Europol staff in accordance with the clearance level determined for the position. 6.3 Contract of employment The successful candidate will be recruited as Temporary Agent AD 6 pursuant to Article 2 (a) of CEOS, for a period of 5 years. The contract may be renewed. The place of employment will be The Hague, The Netherlands. For further information on terms and conditions please consult the EU Staff Regulations which are available on Europol’s website.