Simula Research Laboratory AS is a publicly owned research institute located outside Oslo, Norway. It is a multi-cultural organization, employing about 150 individuals from 30 countries. Simula is conducting ICT research in the fields of communication technology, scientific computing and software engineering. Simula's main objective is to generate new understanding and create vital knowledge about fundamental scientific challenges that are of genuine value for society. This is achieved through high quality research, education of graduate students, industry collaboration, technology transfer and commercialization. www.simula.no
Centre for Resilient Networks and Applications (CRNA) at Simula focuses on robustness and security of ICT infrastructures. This implies research on networks and applications with the aim of making them resilient with respect to failures and changing environment. The Networks department works on resilience in communication networks and applications from a measurement perspective, through prototyping and through theoretical studies.
We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow to join our team of senior and junior researchers in the Networks department of the CRNA. The successful candidate will be involved in two projects: `Measuring Mobile Broadband Networks in Europe- (MONROE) funded by EU H2020 and `Modeling Mobile Broadband Networks- (MEMBRANE) funded by Norwegian Research Council. MONROE is a European-scale platform with multi-homing capabilities for measurements and experiments on operational 3G/4G Mobile Broadband networks. One of the main objectives of MONROE is to use the platform for the identification of key MBB performance parameters, thus enabling accurate, realistic and meaningful monitoring and assessment of the performance of MBB networks. Building on MONROE, MEMBRANE focuses on data analytics approaches and proposes to develop models that can capture the relationship between the performance and reliability parameters and the underlying network factors that affect them. Hence, revealing the key factors that are required to accurately describe and predict the performance and reliability of MBB networks in general and mobile video in particular.
The postdoctoral fellow position is for two years and the successful candidate is expected to:
- Design and execute a set of experiments that measure the right performance and reliability parameters of MBB networks under realistic traffic patterns
- Analyze the data collected from the experiments using statistical and data analytics tools to determine the key parameters that affects the performance and reliability of MBB performance
- Derive machine-learning based models using the collected measurement data in order to capture the network characteristics of MBB networks and further extend these models to consider the performance of mobile video, more specifically video streaming
- Supervise and cooperate with master and Ph.D. students
- Support the project management/coordination activities
Interested applicants should:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related fields
- Have a solid background in data analytics and statistics
- Have solid analytical skills to analyze network traces and datasets
- Have experience with data analytics tools and libraries
- Have experience with measurements and experimentation
- Have experience with Linux and scripting languages
- Familiarity with MBB networks and mobile video
- Demonstrate excellent level of spoken and written English
- Possess good interpersonal skills and show willingness to work as part of an international team
-Excellent opportunities for doing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers.
-Nice office facilities located close to the Oslo fjord and 10 minutes drive from the centre of Oslo.
-An informal and including working environment.
-Professional courses and workshops led by international experts on topics such as Communication of Scientific Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Writing Effective Research Proposals.
-A competitive salary.
-Simula strives to achieve a good balance between male and female employees, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit the following:
-Cover letter explaining the candidate's background, qualifications and research interests
-Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and academic work - scientific publications)
-Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application deadline is as soon as possible, but no later than May 1st 2016.
The application MUST be submitted in PDF format and all files needs to be combined into one single PDF-document in the order specified by the list above. To avoid misplacement, please make sure to include your first and last name in the filenames of all documents that you send us
We are interested in how you first came to learn about this position - please let us know in your cover letter.
For more information, please contact Dr. Özgü Alay (ozgu(ä)simula.no, +4798485362)