1. Purpose of the post
The main purpose of the post is to perform requirements gathering and functional design. The selected candidate will be involved in defining high-level requirements, describing the business need, and in specifying functional designs (use cases), describing the solution, driving prototyping. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with business stakeholders, end-users and the development team, delivering specifications to be used for developing custom software solutions or for integration of standard/customised software products.
2. Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
- „h• Gather, analyse, define, document and keep track of high-level business, functional and non-functional requirements; „h• Develop detailed use case specifications, define and describe creative software solutions, products and features; „h• Transform high level business statements into detailed and accurate design specifications, adequate for software development or customisation of standard software products; „h• Actively track requirements throughout the entire software lifecycle to assess progress and assure that the delivered end-product meets all requirements and expectations; „h• Actively participate in continuously improving the methods and techniques applied in the unit for requirements gathering; „h• Be involved in user acceptance testing, to ensure the delivered end-products successfully pass acceptance tests; „h• Be involved in user interface design and usability testing; „h• Be involved in the delivery and maintenance of design documentation using UML; „h• Be involved in data modelling.
3.1 General requirements (Art. 24 of the Europol Staff Regulations)
The post holder must:
- „h• be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen; „h• have an excellent oral and written command of at least two official languages of the European Union, including English; „h• have a minimum of eight years of experience in large scale software development or integration projects, and a minimum of two years in a similar position; „h• possess a university degree in computer science or equivalent.
The post holder must have:
a. Professional experience:
- „h• A minimum of eight years of work experience and proficiency in software development or integration projects through all phases of the lifecycle; „h• A minimum of two years experience in defining software requirements, particularly on large scale projects in complex environments using an internationally recognised project management methodology and a structured software lifecycle management methodology; „h• A minimum of two years experience with iterative software development methodologies; „h• A minimum of two years of experience in J2EE/JEE5 application development and/or components integration.
- „h• Experience matured in both custom-software developed projects and integration projects; „h• Experience in working in an international environment ; „h• Experience with structured software engineering processes and the Microsoft Solutions Framework methodology (MSF); „h• Experience with additional software engineering methodologies (e.g. Rational Unified Process, test-driven development, agile development); „h• Experience in the use of Visual Studio Team System development environment; „h• Experience in IBM websphere technology; „h • Experience in J2EE/JEE5 technology development environment; • Experience with defining conceptual and physical data models.
- „h• Knowledge of the J2EE/JEE5 application architecture and development environment; „h• Knowledge of Microsoft solutions Framework methodology (MSF) or other iterative development methodology; „h• Knowledge of an internationally recognised project management methodology ; Desirable:
- „h• Knowledge of the Microsoft development technologies; „h• Knowledge of Prince 2; „h• Knowledge of service management methodologies (preferably ITIL); „h• Knowledge of the law enforcement domain. „h• Knowledge of .NET
- „h• Demonstrated capability of understanding and describing complex IT systems including the main components and their interactions; „h• Ability to reach agreements and compromises among diverging stakeholders and competing requirements; „h• Ability to effectively communicate complex technical matters to non-technical audiences; „h• Ability to envisage and describe software solutions addressing complex sets of requirements; „h• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
The basic salary is EUR 5,736.61 (tax deductions and social contributions within Europol amount to approximately 15 ¡V 20 %)
In addition, when relevant, family allowances can be granted:
- „h• 5% of the basic salary ¡V household allowance; „h• EUR 284.20 (net) - per dependant child; „h• EUR 926,77 (net) ¡V expatriation allowance
Social contributions and taxes have to be deducted from the above mentioned amount.