ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL - www.royalcaribbean.com
Cares for a variety of live plants and flowers throughout the vessel and carries out all duties, administrative and operational as detailed in the shipboard integrated pest management plan, by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s brand standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies.
In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in Excellence, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact or crew areas.
- Examines plants and soil/potting mix to determine moisture level and waters each plants according to requirements of species.
- Sponged plant leaves to apply moisture and remove dust, promoting a healthy, glossy finish.
- Maintain the ornamental plants as needed.
- Observes plants in sufficient details to detect insects and diseases, and should consults plant care books or other source of information to identify problems and determine remedial action.
- Selects and applies specified chemical solutions to feed plants, kill insects, maintain healthy appearance treat diseases, by using aerosols, hose or mist-sprayer.
- Transplants plants into larger containers with sufficient regularity as to prevent root binding.
- Pinches and prunes stems, shoots and leaves to remove dead and diseased leaves, so as to induce growth.
- Removes diseased and dying plants from display and replaces with healthy plants.
- Supervises to correct destruction of diseased plants in the incinerator.
- Uses shears, trowels, folks and other horticultural tools and equipment as required to facilitate the execution of his/her duties.
- Maintains records of plants, documenting location, number variety, care and treatment.
- Produces a weekly or voyage report detailing all horticultural activities.
Under the direction of the Facilities Manager, operates the shipboard Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Plan, with regard to the following:
- Maintain the required stock of approved pesticides and IPM supplies onboard, ordering through the Facilities Manager as required.
- Carries our rounds and inspections of all Pest Monitoring Stations as per the Inspectio Schedule, recording results on the appropriate sheet.
- Replaces and relocates Monitor Stations as required and in accordance with the IPM Plan.
- Applies pesticides on a regular basis as demanded by the IPM plan, or as directed on an irregular basis to cope with special circumstances, such as random local infections of pests.
- Keeps all documentation and log sheets associated with the IPM Plan, up to date and in good order. Presents all IPM Plan documentation to the Facilities Manager for verification and signature on a weekly basis.
- On boarding/turnaround day ensures that his/her IPM duties take first priority over regular horticultural duties, with any other non-Facilities related duties being assigned the lowest priority.
- Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
You can apply for this job if you are:
MINIMUM AGE LIMIT IS 21 Y.O.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Two to three years plant care experience in a 4 or 5 star hotels or other high profile public venue.
- Knowledge of horticulturist requirements of ornamental plants including the use of insecticides, fertilizers and gardening tools.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with general horticultural or agricultural chemical and pesticides, methods of application and safety procedures.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests and coworkers.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the shipboard employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
Work experience in International Company
Food, accommodation, and medical insurance expenses are covered by the company
- Joining ticket provided by the company
- 6 months contract on and 6 weeks off
- Shared cabin
- Monthly salary is $1,039