The Information Management and Technology Department (IMT) is responsible for developing, delivering and maintaining information management and communication technology capabilities that ensure enhanced criminal information exchange between Member States.
The post-holder manages the team in charge of all IT operations and engineering activities on server-side platforms, including hardware, storage, middleware and applications, as well support and engineering of the data centre facilities.
The successful applicant will have the following main tasks and responsibilities:
• overall planning, coordination, prioritisation, scheduling, and quality control of the engineering and operational activities of the team;
• constantly liaise with the other ICT operations and engineering team managers to ensure alignment and consistency of activities, facilitating the efficient execution of cross-team and cross-unit tasks;
• report on status of activities and operations under area of responsibility, proactively address problems, and escalate as appropriate;
• manage internal projects regarding the technical maintenance and new implementations of server-side equipment and software, as well as of related system management tools;
• technical maintenance of the data centre facilities and equipment, liaising with the General Services and Facilities unit;
• manage suppliers of IT products and services in the area of competence;
• planning, procurement, installation and maintenance of the technical server and storage infrastructure, products and services;
• plan and manage the allocation of IT budget ensuring the proper levels of cost-effective solutions for the areas the group is responsible;
• develop procedures, propose and implement new tools and working practices, for the continuous improvement of the efficiency and quality of service in area of responsibility;
• ensure that adequate and up to date documentation is produced and maintained within the team, including technical standards for the configuration of servers and middleware;
• develop and maintain a customer- and service-oriented spirit and approach within the team;
• provide awareness to end users on IT related topics;
• plan and implement measures to safeguard the security, resilience and continuity of IT services for which the group is responsible;
• ensure the technical and personal development of the team members;
• coach for performance, plan training, and motivate the team members in order to ensure good levels of effectiveness and efficiency;
• liaise with the training coordinator for IT related matters and user support;
• perform the first level of performance assessment of the team members.
General requirements (article 24 of Staff Regulation)
The post holder must:
• be a national of one of the Members States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen
• Have a good knowledge of at least two official EU languages, including excellent English oral and writing skills;
• Good organisational and analytical skills;
• High sense of professionalism;
• Have completed a university degree, preferably on IT related subjects.
The post holder should have:
a. Professional experience:
• minimum of 10 years experience within an IT Engineering and Operations organization;
• minimum of 3 years experience in a System Administration management role in an IT organization, with line management responsibilities;
• good knowledge and experience with system engineering and operations management procedures and their documentation;
• good knowledge and experience with data centre operations and support;
• experience with IT budget planning and budget monitoring;
• experience in dealing with IT suppliers of products and services.
• at least one ITIL certification from an accredited institute;
• working experience in a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural, and international environment.
b. Professional knowledge:
• good knowledge of deployment and maintenance of Microsoft Windows server-side OS, middleware, and applications;
• good knowledge of multi-tier web-based applications, and in particular of Microsoft IIS;
• expertise on Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL Server configuration and support;
• good working knowledge of storage networks, backup infrastructures, and related technologies;
• good knowledge of data centre technologies and facilities, including cabinets and racks, power supply, environmental controls;
• good knowledge of process design and deployment, preferably based on ITIL;
• good knowledge of monitoring systems, software distribution tools, and secure remote system administration tools and utilities;
• good knowledge of configuration management tools;
• working knowledge of business continuity and disaster recovery approaches and techniques;
• broad knowledge of project management techniques and methods
• strong organizational, leadership, management, facilitation, and communications skills.
• knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint, Biztalk, and ISA Server;
• knowledge of IBM WebSphere and generally of J2EE application architectures;
• working knowledge of the administration and support of document and content management systems;
• knowledge of support requirements for corporate applications for HR, Finance, and other administrative functions;
• experience working within a process-driven and matrix-oriented IT organization. Knowledge of IT process frameworks and supporting roles and tools;
• broad knowledge of the main IT infrastructure components;
• knowledge of TEMPEST protection requirements and related technologies.
c. Professional skills and competencies:
• demonstrated customer focus. Understanding of infrastructure concepts and technology and their impact on clients and services related to the business;
• demonstrated insight, tact, political acumen, and diplomacy skills sufficient to foster effective relations and build consensus within IMT and with diverse groups;
• excellent communication, documentation, and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate and listen effectively within all levels of the organization, including executive management and key client stakeholders;
• project management skills;
• skills in analyzing complex or highly volatile issues, formulating a plan of action, and directing or facilitating a group, including technical experts, in carrying out a plan.
The basic salary is EUR 6.694,23 (tax deduction within Europol is approximately 20 - 25 %)
In addition, when relevant, family allowances can be granted:
" 5% of the basic salary - household allowance;
" EUR 284,20 (net) - per dependant child;
" EUR 926,77 (net) - expatriation allowance
Additional benefits (annual trip home, education, rent and other allowances, excellent health insurance, etc.)
Social contributions and taxes have to be deducted from the above mentioned amount.