Position Title: Assistant Maitre D’
Reports to: Maitre D'
Direct Reports: Assigned Restaurant Personnel
Assists the Restaurant Manager in the supervision of the Restaurant personnel ensuring total guest satisfaction regarding food quality and service in accordance with company policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
To support Celebrity Cruises’ mission of becoming “the world’s ultimate premium cruise line with a taste of luxury,” all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, ISM/ISO and SQM standards, USPH guidelines, and environmental regulations.
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Celebrity Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Celebrity Family Member (CFM) areas.
2. Directs, coaches, supports, supervises and evaluates (in conjunction with the Restaurant Manager) the performance of all direct reports.
3. Individual will be responsible and held accountable for a section of the Restaurant and other specific duties assigned by the Restaurant Manager.
4. When assigned to work in the Midnight Buffet he/she will be responsible for the check in and coordination of the Restaurant personnel, assigning their respective duties (working in conjunction with the Assistant Food Manager).
5. Must be thoroughly versed with the company’s high food and service standards, anticipating and fulfilling guests’ needs.
6. Visits every table of his/her section on a daily basis, ensuring guests are totally satisfied with the food and service. Recognizes guests by their names and personally takes care of all special requests and VIPs in his/her section.
7. Responsible for keeping track of all special occasions such as birthdays or anniversaries and ordering the respective amenities for the celebration.
8. Notifies the Restaurant Manager of any unhappy or difficult guests in his section for further follow up.
9. Ensures that the Restaurant personnel follow company policies at all times regarding uniforms, personal appearance and hygiene.
10. Has sound knowledge of wines and wine service and whenever necessary assists the Wine Sommelier with wine service.
11. Takes an active role in the training program for the Restaurant personnel, especially with newly hired personnel, giving them the necessary guidance to successfully integrate into the team.
12. Ensures the cleaning schedule set up by the Restaurant Manager is followed by the assigned personnel, and inspects his section thoroughly.
13. Ensures that all personnel are knowledgeable about, and follow at all times, the United States Public Health rules and regulations.
14. Brings any disciplinary issues pertaining to Restaurant personnel to the attention of the Restaurant Manager.
15. Has a thorough understanding of Time and Attendance procedures, shipboard training, and is familiar with the contracts and work schedule hours/week and supporting documentation.
16. Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and CFMs with inquiries.
17. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
18. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
Ensures that all communication costs are kept under control
Ensures that guests are charged for pertinent special requests and services.
Conducts workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly stored to minimize deterioration and waste.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
Monitors and manages the various assigned workstation functions. Monitors the assignment of duties and responsibilities to his/her staff. Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met. Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions such as new hire requests and discharges, to ensure adequate and continuous staffing. Inspects workstations, work areas, equipment, etc. to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
Mentors, develops and provides on-the-job training to his/her staff to strengthen their current performance and preparation for future advancement.
You can apply for this job if you are:
At least 21 years of age
speak good English
are hospitable and friendly person
having relevant experience
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
Minimum of five to eight years hospitality management experience (shipboard experience preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, business administration or related field from an accredited college or university or the international equivalent preferred.
Very strong management skills in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
Superior customer service, teambuilding and conflict resolution skills.
Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques.
Strong planning, coaching, organizing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating skills.
Intermediate computer software skills required.
Possess a good understanding of basic accounting principles such as numbering flow, “Debits/Credits”, adjusting entries and corrections.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
Completion of a minimum of two contracts as a Waiter/ess with a performance rating of satisfactory or above, along with demonstrated leadership skills.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
• 6 month on 2 off
• Double birth
• No vacation pay
• Company pays both ticket
• Shipboard experience is required.
• Company salary $500.00+ gratuities. Average $5.5K and up to 7K per month.
• Second interview with operations required.